Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Just another Canon shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691
Re: A picture is worth...

Anders W wrote:

I need to correct myself here.

I looked at the SS and the apertures again (ISO is irrelevant), and the total light is the same in the original link.

Good that you have eventually recognized that.

Yeah but I did not do it based on the ISO.

Where the efficiency difference is most noticeable depends on the individual sensor. For some FF sensors (e.g., A7, A7r, and D800) the efficiency difference is large at higher ISOs but small at lower. For the Canon 6D, it is the other way around. The 6D has worse DR at base ISO than the E-M1 (12.1 versus 12.7), not two EV better as would be expected if the sensors were equally efficient.

That is by your definition of efficiency. The 0.6 EV difference in DR is relevant only in some situations but the 6D/800D can still record 4x more light and have much better tonality because of the lower shot noise at base ISO. Canon has different color filters than most brands, so that tonality varies from color to color (Nikon/Sony/Oly do better in the blue colors, for example).

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow