Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Nice summary but the supplement needs improvement

tokumeino wrote:

You forgot the Handevision Ibelux 40/0.85 ? Shame on you !

Sorry not to know extensively the M43 lineup. In fact I was mainly thinking of native AF lenses. Because if you come to manual ones, then you'll find much faster than f/1.8 FF lenses as well.

Yes, but the manual lenses you can put on FE mount are not designed for the system. These manual lenses are.

Personally though, as I said, I am happy to make do with lenses in the range from f/1.7 to f/2.0. That's as much equivalence as I need.

I was actually thinking of lenses like the Pana 25/1.4 which is 1 stop behind a Sony FE 55/1.8.

But don't misunderstand me : I totally agree with you and I thnink that the advantages of large sensors are often overestimated. Many people compare at equal ISO, which does not make sense from a composition perspective.

Right.

Personally, I don't need "extreme" aperture and what M43 has to offer is more than enough to my needs. I can understand that people may have more specific needs and I don't blame them going to expensive and bulky FF, but I'm afraid that many could actually live with smaller sensors.

I don't blame them either. As I have said many times, if you want more shallow DoF than MFT can provide, it is a good idea to go FF.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow