Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
photogeek Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Don't shoot for equivalence

Personally I had two systems for a while, Fuji X and MFT. Sure, Fuji X is better at high ISOs, and sensor is larger, so if you want it, DOF is shallower. But you know what? MFT has a lot going for it too, so much in fact, that I sold my Fuji body and lenses and went with MFT exclusively.

Basically, compared to Fuji, my E-M1 has faster focus, better metering, better automatic white balance, better build and ergonomics (this is subjective, of course), and _much_ smaller and lighter lenses. The last point should not be discounted, the best camera is the one you have with you. And if that wasn't enough, it also has an excellent in-body image stabilizer and better video mode, too. Sure, it's no good above ISO1600, but at ISO 1600 it's better for shooting at much lower shutter speeds due to IBIS.

Anyway, the point is, the sensor is not "be all end all", other factors matter a lot. Think about it this way: your camera can easily make shooting pictures a joy or a constant chore. Oly gets much closer (for me) to making it a joy than any other camera I have used, in spite of its shortcomings.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow