Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Nice summary but the supplement needs improvement

Anders W wrote:

tokumeino wrote:

I agree with your 2 ISO stops comparisons between M43 and FF. It's the only way to be fair. Comparing FF and M43 at same ISO (like many do) is pointless since to get equivalent pictures, FF will need 2 more ISO stops.

BUT... Sony FE lenses are f/1.8 for the 55mm, and f/2.8 for the 35mm. With M43, you would respectively need f/0.9 and f/1.4 for equivalence. But there are not suh M43 lenses and you can't get equivalence. Roughly, 1 stop is missing to M43 lenses.

What about the CV 17.5/0.95, CV 25/0.95, and CV 42.5/0.95, the SLR Magic 12/T1.6, 17/T1.6, 25/T0.95, 35/T1.4, and 50/0.95 and the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 and 42.5/1.2?

Ooops. I forgot to mention the new Handevision Ibelux 40/0.85 here.

http://www.43rumors.com/handevision-gets-a-price-and-preorder-in-us-2079/

If you had post DPR samples in good light I wouldn't have say the following, but since you draw low light comparisons, given existing lenses, it would make sense to compare M43 3200 ISO to FF 6400 ISO, IMO. And if you do so, Sony FF is better.

First, my comparisons at a two-stop ISO difference are of course of interest regardless of whether equivalent lenses exist in a certain case or not. They show the results you can expect at the same DoF. If FF can open up more than MFT in terms of equivalent f-stops, it comes at the expense of DoF as Great Bustard pointed out. Whether you find that desirable or acceptable is a matter of your own personal objectives and requirements. Speaking for myself, I rarely want to go further in that direction than my fast MFT primes (all with max apertures in the range of f/1.7 to f/2.0) allow. If you do want or can accept ultra-shallow DoF, however, FF may indeed be preferable.

Second, if you look again at the link you provided for a comparison between MFT at ISO 3200 and FF at ISO 6400, you will see that even in this case, MFT wins for noise (although whether it does depends on which particular cameras we choose to compare).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow