Warning to EM-1 users :sunshine into EVF can create indeletable blotches, as confirmed by Olympus.

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,939
Re: Is this also a problem with the M10?

JohnPS wrote:

Lately I've been really looking at the M10 and thinking it's just exactly what I need...especially for the price. That's a lot of really great camera for not that much money. And then this situation rears it's ugly head and I'm wondering if it's also affected, even though it seems to have a different display in the EVF. Anyone have advice on this?

I believe the Stylus1, E-M5, E-M10, and VF-2 may share the same basic LCD from Epson, though there are probably differences in the final build that might affect this (*).  Similarly, I would imagine the VF-4 and E-M1 share the same basic LCD.

While most users reporting the problem have been E-M1 users, I have corresponded to one user on another forum who had green blobs appear on his E-M5 and now had it on his E-M1.  So it may be possible for it to occur, but perhaps it is a rarer occurrence.  The E-M10 is new enough that we probably don't have a large enough sample size to say if it is affected or not.

Note, I recently had a different thing happen to my E-M5 that may or may not be related.  I was on a trip to Disney World (i.e. bright sun), and in the middle of the trip, my refurbished E-M5's EVF went so dim, it was impossible to use.  Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty, and Olympus did fix it (by the time we got back from the trip, the original 90 day warranty had expired), replacing both the CPU board for the camera, and EVF board.

* There are some differences, in that the VF-2 is nearly opaque when you look at it in landscape orientation with polarized sunglasses, while the Stylus1/E-M5 have some blobs I can't see, but it is usable enough to be able to frame the shot.

I think I need to fashion something that has something like velcro (tm) that sits over the EVF when not in use but is easily removed when shooting for both the Stylus1 and E-M5.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AG
AG
AG
AG
JD1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow