Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Fygaren Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Right, but I think in all practical situations, photographers do not crop their photos when using different focal lengths to achieve the same subject size. I was just confused between focal length and subject distance -- mind lapse on my part so thanks for clearing it up. It is important then to understand this when comparing FF->m43 focal lengths in practical situations related compression of foreground and background.

The cropping here is only to simulate a different format sensor.

50mm crop 1, 25mm crop 2 and 12.5mm crop 4 will all have the same compression/ background and FOV when taken at the same distance to subject (no cropping on any of the photos).

50mm crop1 and 50mm crop2 without furter cropping of the photos will only be comparable if you move way back with the crop 2 camera so that the subject fills the frame in the same way. The compression/background will then show the same effect as showed in your link, as you have then changed your distance to the subject.

Cheers

Fygaren's gear list:Fygaren's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow