Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
eyeswideshut Regular Member • Posts: 333
Re: Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

If you come directly from a film SLR you will be amazed by the low light capabilities of probably all cameras on your short list. Differences between full format, APS and mft are hotly debated on internet forums such as this but in actual practice much of that is hardly field relevant.

When I switched from film to digital just about ten years ago I went from Canon / Pentax SLRs to the Olympus E-500, a four thirds DSLR. At the time crop factor et al. turned out to be the least of my worries since the switch from film to digital entailed so many other changes in terms of workflow, archiving, printing, post processing and on and on that you probably will be busy for a couple of years!

Good Luck.

oneohone wrote:

I am in the market for a DSLR/mirrorless camera and after initial research and trying various cameras the Olympus M10 has made my final shortlist. Now I have some experience shooting 35mm film and in my experience I often take my 50mm f1.7 lens which I enjoy a great deal and it s a good fit for the types of photography I do, candid street, a little landscape and also portraits.

Now I wonder, I have mostly shot film (not counting snapshots with my cellphone) and then crop-factor never enterted my mind. The M10 has a larger crop factor than the other cameras on my shortlist (1.5 or 1.6) how does that impact the choice of lenses? To get something similar to the 50mm focal length I would need a 24mm lens, but what about aperture? If I understand correctly (and maybe I don't) aperture is also influenced by crop factor, then how is it possible to get a f.2.8 lens or lower for the m10? And how does that further influence low light performance? I often take pictures in low light without flash or tripod and from my experience with the film camera I often use f.2.8 or lower.

I know the M10 is a good camera, and the m4/3 system is also really good, and obviously people are satisfied using this system, but I just need a little help understanding the problem with low light and lens selection for the m4/3 system.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
eyeswideshut

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow