EM-5 locking up. Is this due toe heat?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
global warming at work

El Chubasco wrote:

Hi. I'm curently in the Yucatan documenting archeological buildings and my EM-5 is having some problems. After taking few pictures the shutter locks up, the viewfinder (or LCD) goes black and I can't operate the camera. Turning off the camera for few minutes allows me to take few more photos before this happens again. The temperatures here are on the upper 90s and I am wondering if this behavior is due to heat.

Even before the notable warming trends of recent years, 90 degrees F in itself is hardly an unusual operating condition.

Unfortunately it sounds like your shutter mechanism is failing. I've heard of failing units eking out a few more shots as you describe, but they generally proceed to complete failure shortly. I fear yours is headed there soon.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow