decided on a K-IIs but not sure of the lenses...

Started Jun 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP boomermet New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Hey, come back.

SirSeth wrote:

Like the others have said, it would be good to know what you want to shoot most often. Also, starting a thread and letting is sit for a long time while people try to help is lame, so I hope you come back and chime in.

I agree on letting the thread fester.  Fathers day kinda got in the way a day early with dinner and all with our youngest son and family.  Been gone most of the day but appreciate all the responses.  I got away from photography back in 2006, was shooting mainly interiors of homes and landscapes with 1stDL.  we had a studio a few years prior to that.  Got my first Pentax ME at a jc pennys store then an ME Super with a 70-210 F4 zoom shooting seniors, families, people, grip and grins.  Been around this in the film era before digital so I learn how to read light etc.  You never really forget it totally, but things change.  Got laid off so have to do something on our own again.  I plan on using the K-IIs for mainly people stuff, weddings families, maybe get some new White Lightnings for product, studio work.  The comment about the scene modes was merely an observation as the Canon's and Nikons all had them that's all.  From what I read here non Pentax lens maybe the way to go.  I have an Sigma lens Tamron maybe.

I'm looking to sell some stuff and buy a K5iis in a month or two. My first lens came today. The Pentax-A 35-105mm f3.5 from ebay. $81 buys a chunk of historical beauty (imo). Commonly less than $130, these lenses have a good reputation and cover some of your slightly longer focal lengths. Manual focus of course. This one is sometimes called the "stack of primes" because it's sharp in the center at all focal lengths--it does however become less sharp toward the corners which isn't really a bad thing if you want to shoot portraits rather than landscapes primarily. I look forward to testing, but I don't have a camera yet.

Another lens I'm considering is the 17-70mm Sigma Art lens. It has a good reputation and price for a short zoom. The 17-50mm f2.8 (Tamron or Sigma) are also pretty well reviewed, so you can read up. These are less expensive alternatives to Pentax premium glass and probably will do better than the kit lenses, but are not weather sealed. The weather resistant (WR) inexpensive Pentax glass are unique because most low tier glass is not sealed. For premium Sigma I'd love to try the 18-35mm f1.8 zoom that is being released in Sigma mount soon.

I think the 50mm f1.8 is worth a look. Pretty good portait lens. Of course then there's the DA* 60-250mm and 300mm f4 which are pricey, but lovey optics. Some don't trust SDM, but these don't seem to have the problem that some others do.

The Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro is on my list for portait as well as Macro. It's good stuff and a great price if you don't have the money for the Pentax 100mm f2.8 WR.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow