decided on a K-IIs but not sure of the lenses...

Started Jun 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,689
Re: decided on a K-IIs but not sure of the lenses...

As stated by others, the K5IIs is not entry level, it is semi pro..... designed for you to control. That's what you get with "semi-pro and pro gear".

Lenses.......well, you've started an endless line of replies, depending on what your main subjects are. Yes the 18-55 is just a kit lens and I am spoilt by using such nice lenses day to day as the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (see also the Tamron version) and the Pentax DA 50-135.

When you go back from good glass to kit glass, the difference is quite noticeable. The 18-55 is ok at mid range 22-40 ish and especially at f8 which is where it's sweet spot is, but otherwise I use it as paper weight !! That's a bit disrespectful, but I did use it recently with my K-01 and at f8 gave some good sharp results. Just remember, its meant to be a starter lens, get use to a DSLR then move on to some better glass when you know what your doing and happy with your camera, which may not be such a bad idea if your talking about scene modes........

The other good all rounders are the Pentax 18-135, which despite poor reviews, most results i see are pretty darn good and owners give the thumbs up, so it's a step up. The Pentax and Sigma super zooms like 18-200/250 seem to also be getting good wraps too and i've seen some excellent results from forum users here like Donald B and Jeff Hayes(?)

If your starting, use some of the above until your getting your head around how to use a DSLR properly. This is not meant to sound like a put down, but using a DSLR is like the difference between a Ford Focus and a Ferrari.........the Ferrari won't make you a better driver, both will get you from A to B, but untill you get the right roads and learn to drive properly, the Ferrari will just look good in your driveway, much like a DSLR around your neck.

I am about 6 years into digital, starting to do some paid work and I don't know enough yet....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow