State of the art in upsizing algorithms?

Started Jun 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 30,004
Re: Frequency domain

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

My experience with frequency domain processing was disappointing, but I admit that I really don’t remember most of the math, except vaguely. Certainly, loss of precision is important, and I’m seeing a number of places where lack of precision in general harms the final image. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to experiment with extended precision arithmetic in Mathematica or whatever else is out there — since I’m concerned with a one-off image, long processing times is hardly an issue. However, I do need speed for the typical large project that I do a couple times a year.

I am in general suspicious of assuming viewing distances, but, if you do that, one potential advantage of fequency domain approaches is the ability to throw the human contrast sensitivity functions into the mix.

With respect to precision, you're using Octave, right? I use Matlab, which I think is very similar. In Matlab, you have to work at it to get the code to use anything less than 64-bit floating point.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow