Spring Flowers using the Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG (OS) HSM and the the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens

Started Jun 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP Nancy and Pete Spader Senior Member • Posts: 2,050
The limits to gamut

Thanks all for your comments. Some of you are aware these debates have on before and are always useful.

I had some time today to play with this image using a color space (ProPhoto RGB) with a wider gamut than sRGB. It did allow me to come closer to capturing the color I see in this particular rose, though when I translated it to sRGB to post I lost most of what I had gained. Also, despite the fact that the wider gamut allowed me to come closer, I still could not reproduce what I saw with my own eyes/brain.

I suspect the extremely wide gamut which human beings have access to “naturally” will always allow us to see colors no camera or processing software will be able to capture and reproduce, and this rose has an example of such a color(s). Nancy has been trying to capture this particular "red" on this type of rose from the days of film and has never been able to do so.

Incidentally, you will notice that in very bright sunlight even our naturally extra-wide gamut is not wide enough to capture all of the color that is “there.” I believe this is what is happening when you stop seeing individual colors and see “white,” a white that disappears as the intensity of the light diminishes. Even our naturally wide gamut is not infinite.

So until I find a way to process these RAW files to get more than I can now I will accept the limits that are there. Incidentally, in this image the edges of the rose that are “light” colored are what I actually see. I can, of course, manually replace “white”or "lighter" with a color that I judge is more accurate, but doing so gives an artificial sense to the image. And it is truly artifical if what we are trying to captre and present is what we really see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow