The Sony A7s - Birders' dream camera?

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
bwana4swahili
bwana4swahili Contributing Member • Posts: 747
Re: The Sony A7s - Birds vs. Wildlife (Resolution vs. Sensitivity?)

parallaxproblem wrote:

The 36MP sensor in the A7R has a similar resolution to a 15MP sensor in an APS-C camera, the A7 equates to only around 10MP wheres the A7s resolution will offer under 6MP... latest APS-C sensors are 24MP

Resolution has really nothing to do with the size of the sensor!  It is solely the size of the photosites on the sensor that matters.  With a 50mm lens on my Canon 60D (18 MPixel APS-C sensor and 4.3 micron pixels) the resolution is 17.86 arcsec/pixel.  The same lens on my Sony A7R (36 MPixel full frame and 4.88 micron pixels) gives a resolution of 20.27 arcsec/pixel.  Putting the same lens on my NexImage 5 (5 Mpixel 1/3" sensor and 2.2 micron pixels) results in a resolution of 9.14 arcsec/pixel.

I'm anxiously awaiting the day (sometime in the far future) when I can acquire a full frame camera with 1 micron pixels, low noise and the reported sensitivity of the A7S  

bwa

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha a7S +84 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow