Good Skin tone canon 5d Mk3

Started Jun 9, 2014 | Questions thread
OP huggy020 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Most often subjective

Mako2011 wrote:

huggy020 wrote:

What exactly is a camera with good skin tone? Is it just a preconceived perception? For example, unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B, followed by comments like camera B has better tone. How would one normally get to that conclusion, given you have not seen the person before?

Skin tone prefrences are most often subjective. Especially when talking about the JPEG engine of the different cameras...as I assume you mean when saying..." unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B"

In a blind side by side comparison, most will "prefer" the skin tone that is slightly over-saturated vs the one that is actually the most accurate. You might be surprised how often folks tend towards the example with the red channel slightly blown vs a more accurate exposure. I find that is skin tones are critical...I simply shoot raw and insure all the color channels are not exposed as close to accurate as possible, then work from there. That takes the manufactures "preferences" for color rendition out of the equation.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I was refering to  a raw file . So the "camera has good tone" that I've seen so many times here in this forum and elsewhere is not how accurate the camera depicts the tone of the skin but rather what you will like to see as the skin tone??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow