State of the art in upsizing algorithms?

Started Jun 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,683
State of the art in upsizing algorithms?

I’ve lately benefited from the great information in this article:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/filter/nicolas/

which is on how best to use ImageMagick for resampling images — this is really good stuff especially if you get disappointing results from Photoshop’s clunky old algorithms.

Now I have to make a large image from a somewhat tight crop of an image, and it is one that will have a good amount of perspective correction. And since this will be a prominently displayed image, I’d like to really raise the bar on quality.

Is there any research on going directly from a mosaiced Bayer raw file to an upsampled image? Lately I’ve gotten comfortable with doing my own processing in Octave with good results. Clearly there will be at least some data loss when doing the demosaicing and upsizing steps independently.

Then there is the problem with perspective correction, which I’d like to be a data-preserving as possible.

The final image will be rather low-resolution, and so it needs all the help that can be given it.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow