Good lenses with Olympus OM-D EM-1

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,239
Re: Good lenses with Olympus OM-D EM-1

nickels25 wrote:

Thanks! I checked today with my local camera store. They said the Digital ED corrected more for Chromatic Aberration than the other 40-150mm. Something to do with the optics used.

Thanks for your help!

The reference to ED indicates that Extra low Dispersion glass is used in some of the lens elements. This is indeed used to reduce Chromatic Aberration, but I am fairly sure that the R version uses the same optics and just the cosmetics were updated.

This wad discussed a lot on this and other fora when the "R" was introduced, and i think it ended up in consensus that the changes were only cosmetic. I have the R variety and it's a very nice lens albeit a little softer at both ends. Best between 70 and 100 I would say. Don't intetpret this as if it should be bad at 40 or 150, it isn't. It's a very recommendable lens, especially if you look at the price and there is no better telephoto zoom for MFT yet Together with the excellent 12-40/2, 8 you have what you need for most photoraphy while you wait for the soon to be introduced 40-150/2, 8 pro lens. If you need an UW zoom the Pana 7-14 is the one that matches the 12-40 in IQ, the Oly 9-18 is good but not quite up to it. A cheaper UW alternative is Samyang 7, 5 FE which can be defished if you want and is very sharp.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow