Crop Factor. Something to consider when buying a lens when you are shooting other than FF.

Started Jun 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,205
Re: What about medium format or larger?

Febs wrote:

Jack, you make the assumption to use the same lens (or at least the same aperture) in comparing different formats. Leave that assumption away for a moment and you will understand what the others meant.

So for example look at a camera system with a 24Mpix FF sensor and 50mm f2.8 lens and then compare it to another camera system with a 24Mpix APSc sensor and 35mm f2.0 lens.

These 2 systems are equivalent in practically every regard:

• Field of view
  • Depth of field
  • Noise (the larger aperture compensates for the smaller sensor)
  • Resolution
  • Size
  • Price (with a slight advantage to the APSc system)

Hence it doesn't matter which system you pick. In the real world choose any system that has the lenses which cover your need.

I didn't say anything that disagreed with you.

No sensor size has an intrinsic advantage over another.

Well, in Canon land, they do.  I had a 7D and a 5D2 at the same time.  I did every test every which way, there was no way to make the 7D look as good as the 5D2.  At low ISO it was a barely significant difference, but it was there.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow