E-520 - what to expect?

Started Jun 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
babha Regular Member • Posts: 159
E-520 - what to expect?

Hi!

As i was searching for the fantastic 70-300 lens (i had it together with E-330 about three years ago .. but then stupidly i sold all my Oly-gear ..) i guess i got a good deal in ebay this morning: this tele-lens as part of a package together with E-520, 14-42 and Flash FL36R, two batteries, memory cards, a LowePro camera bag etc. for just € 250,- - that´s what is usually asked for an used 70-300 only!

When i gave my bid i was calculating for how much i could sell E-520 plus 14-42 (as i already have one) .. i probably would get the tele-lens almost for "free".

After some adventures with Sony SLT, Fuji X-S1, Sigma SD15 & Sigma DP2 (later i still have .. not sure yet, if i will keep it ..) i returned happily to Olympus. Got an used E-330 again .. aswell E-1 (very happy with it) .. just the 14-42 and old 40-150, the brilliant 2/50 i sold again (money!) .. but perhaps will search for one if i get a good deal.

I am not collecting cams or lenses - rather i want to reduce my equipment to what is "really needed". Newest equipment of course is (technically) interesting (E-M1!) .. but financially out of my reach anyway. And as i am living in my camper-truck (1975 Mercedes) most of the year (travelling, if  there is enough money), SPACE is a big point.

After i got the E-520-set i looked for more informations about the cam .. and started to become interested. Perhaps it could be a keeper .. but in this case i would split from perhaps E-1 (even if i really like the handling and files) .. E-330 is still "untouchable" for me.

Biggest improvement over my elder E-cams of course would be IS.

But how does the E-520 stand against my own and other E-cams (like E-510, E-500, E-410, even E-620, E-30 or E-3)? What i read, it seems to have improved a bit in terms of handling hilight-situations. Does that have "side-effects"? How about the low-pass-filter? Stronger than f.e. E-410 .. would mean: softer images? Anything else to consider?

I would be happy to get Your opinions ! Thanx ..  

Manfred

-- hide signature --

"babha" is actually a combination of"BAtuk BHAgwan", a kind of nickname given to me by a group of elder pilgrims during our pilgrimage to the holiest places (according to hindus) in India 1991: meaning is about "divine rascal" .. btw "babha" aswell is often used to address white strangers
my pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/batuk_bhagwan/

babha's gear list:babha's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Sigma DP2 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow