A bit of advice needed (Post Processing)

Started Jun 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,553
Re: A bit of advice needed (Post Processing)

I use ACR with PS CS6 but I will give your request a try. The nomenclature is just different.

"intensity", let me suggest 100% . . . maybe 150%

"radius", with the D7100 a radius of 1 is a good start. You might want to try .6 or 1.5

"threshold" set this to zero. Never higher than 20 (for now)

As USM (sharpening) really needs to be done as a last step before display (print, internet, or TV), your values may change. With PS CS6 I do it in two steps. Raw files are given 150% at .6 pixel and 0 threshold. Later, when printing 16" x 24" I will choose to sharpen different areas with different amounts. The sky is never sharpened. Detailed foreground is sometimes sharpened aggressively - maybe 150% at 2 pixels (max) and 0 threshold. Sharpening is an art form. I could make many more suggestions and run the risk of overwhelming you.

Raw images shot through an AA filter will always need USM to get rid of the effects of an AA filter - softening.

Love your dog picture. My fox-red lab loves it also.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow