Will CLI-8 and CLI-42 carts work fine in BCI-6 printer?

Started Jun 7, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,792
Will CLI-8 and CLI-42 carts work fine in BCI-6 printer?

I'm considering the purchase of an older Canon i960 inkjet printer . It has six dye BCI-6 cartridges. My intention is to use CLI-8 carts from my Pro-9000-2 in it. I also want to do some testing with CLI-42 carts from my Pro-100.

My understanding is that the older i960 printer uses BCI-6 dye carts, which don't have chips on them. Because of that, BCI-6 based printers are very "forgiving and tolerant" of which carts are in which print-head slot.

This can lead to problems, such as putting a BCI-6-Magenta cart in the slot that is supposed to have a BCI-6-PhotoMagenta cart. The print-head won't complain to the print-driver that something is wrong. It will proceed to print. Usually that's not good.

I'd appreciate confirmation that the i960 will accept and print with CLI-8 carts, preferably by someone who has done this. I'm not expecting the colors to be all that similar, but I can make printer profiles to get "close enough".

What I'm actually wanting to do is test how similar and dissimilar the ink is between Canon oem ink, OCP-8 ink, OCP-221 ink, and PrecisionColor CLI-42 ink. Part of the tests I have in mind involve "fooling" the printer with an unexpected cart, and still being able to have the i960 print.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow