Bye Pentax K-5 -> Hello Sony A6000

Started Jun 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,596
Re: Bye Pentax K-5 -> Hello Sony A6000

ET2 wrote:

New mirrorless are superior at AF tracking than DSLRs

Not for difficult situations. The Camera Store is making an absurd claim. Why didn't they include comparably priced DSLR's? Why not try a team sport in tougher lighting with shallow DOF? Using these smaller sensored cameras in full daylight, with small aperture lenses, was enough to discredit the test based on DOF alone, even ignoring the totally predictable action. They either had an agenda, or they have no clue about what they're doing. DPR is no better. They didn't know how to do focus tracking with the K-3 and botched the results. The Imaging Resource shooter's test was far more realistic, and proved that MILC is not there yet. Much better than in the past though.

The K-3 has more sophisticated controls for tracking, including four levels of AF Hold (a6000 has on/off), expandable AF point (not available on a6000), and colour tracking (not on a6000). The center point on the K-3 allows pinpoint accuracy. The a6000 has a center zone, which is far less precise. Nailing initial focus is crucial for starting to track.

I own both, and I know which I'll be using for sports, wildlife and BIF. Besides, Sony doesn't have an E-mount lens longer than 200mm.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow