Warning to EM-1 users :sunshine into EVF can create indeletable blotches, as confirmed by Olympus.

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
halievski Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Like I said: should be OK for at least 30-60 minutes

antoineb wrote:

It's like I said. I think that the EVF should survive any "reasonable" treatment. Leaving the camera in direct sun for an hour might not be considered "reasonable" - perhaps outdoors but not if inside a closed vehicle.

Not sure about your macro argument: I don't think that a serious macro photographer would shoot macro outdoors right under the midday sun on a tripod and for a couple hours. More likely either we would have a casual photographer capturing a couple shots with whatever light was available - or a serious macro photographer coming back with organised lights and certainly not direct sunlight for hours at a time?

I think I am waiting, and perhaps others are still waiting, to see the actual email or scanned paper mail from Olympus which you claimed you had received confirming this issue? Without this evidence I' afraid I'm really starting to doubt that this is genuine?

halievski wrote:

totally agree with your input, but with some exceptions... Nothing to do with DSLR makers here, and for that matter you can check my profile to confirm my presence here from 2002 as a Pentax, Nikon, Leica and Olympus owner, and the one who recently sold last piece of my Nikon gear, having had 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and the number of premium primes... Now, I got this particular problem with viewfinder while being on vacation to Dominican Republic, and as you can imagine the sun was pretty intense. Just for a record, I have enough knowledge specifically dealing with electronics since 1984, and i know exactly what could happened and how long it takes to damage it. As i mentioned before, my take is that the lcd inside E-m1 viewfinder might be damaged fairly quickly. How long it takes for such an exposure..? You are right - depends on how intense the sunlight is, but in my case it could be a matter of 1-2 minutes while reviewing the images having the viewfinder exposed to the sky. What was wrong? Sure, i did not put my finger on top of an eyepiece... My question is: what about if i decided to do some macro shots from a tripod and having a camera facing sky when its sunny outside?

first of all , i didnt claim anything... you better check wich post you replying to..? Secondly, regarding the quote if its "genuine" - this is your problem to doubt or not ... when you get those spots we'll talk again, for now have a good day! As i said i don't want to make a big deal and have no intention to prove anything to anybody, i had my camera fixed and from now on i'll be watching the sun very carefully, if somebody  has any doubts thats fine...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AG
AG
AG
AG
JD1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow