Good lenses with Olympus OM-D EM-1

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,062
Re: Good lenses with Olympus OM-D EM-1

Here are some thoughts. Picking lenses is very idiosyncratic, so FWIW. I rented the Panny 12-35 for 2 weeks and I own the 12-40. Both are very good. The Panny is a bit smaller and lighter and there was a little CA when shooting into bright light. I think the 12-40 is a bit better optically, but that might be buyers bias. I find the 12-40 really excellent optically. The 75mm f/1.8 is a stunningly excellent lens optically. It's so sharp you could cut yourself. It's not cheap and the focal length is not to everyone's taste, but it's a terrific lens in terms of optics. The Sigma 60 f/2.8 isn't as fast and isn't quite as long, but all reviews of the optical quality are very very good. If you do macro, the 60mm macro is very good. I think the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 is excellent, though the Oly 25mm f/1.8 is smaller, lighter, considerably cheaper, and seems to be optically competitive. The Oly 45mm f/1.8 is very small, and very light and very solid optically as a nice portrait length lens. The Oly 40-150 is a slow aperture kit type lens; it's also amazingly small, light, and inexpensive for the Iq that it generates. Lots of options. If the price of the 12-40 doesn't put you off it's a really good general purpose standard zoom.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow