Warning to EM-1 users :sunshine into EVF can create indeletable blotches, as confirmed by Olympus.

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,339
Re: You cannot magically suppress the sun's energy!

antoineb wrote:

Among other cameras, I own a DSLR. It of course has an OVF not an EVF. If I want I can use this OVF to compose shots pointed straight at the sun. If I do this for an extended period of time into the bright sun then I can burn "blotches" on my retina, which no technical support will be able to repair!

This doesn't mean that my eyes are faulty, nor that the OVF of my DSLR is faulty - it just means that when you take an intense enough incident beam of light, and focus it for long enough on a light sensitive surface, that surface will be damaged.

Obviously an EVF works exactly in the same manner: incident light comes in, hits the sensor, and then the signal gets sent to a tiny display making up the EVF. Based on the experience with my DSLR in live-view mode, the sensor is "happy" to receive unfiltered direct sun light for several seconds at a time without any damage (we would sure hope so, or else the camera would have to come with a warning, "don't use on sunny days" ;-). But there obviously is a limit to this before too much intensity somewhere either damages the imaging sensor, or damages the EVF display.

So what is the fix?
- more or less reasonable users, who won't attempt to aim directly at the sun for extended periods of time, any more than they would attempt to drop their camera in water...
- or, a manufacturer could of course assume that users are just so lacking in common sense, and have the camera shut down if pointed directly at a bright light source for more than several seconds. Or issue a warning beep. But if they do this then they could also include self-inflating buoys just in case the user would want to put their camera under water...

P.S. I think your post would read more credibly if you were able to quote the exact words from Olympus, or better post their complete email (or a scan of a paper letter).

babalu wrote:

As you have all probably already read in another thread in this forum, I have very recently received a confirmation from the techical support of Olympus in Europe that strong sunshine into the EVF of the E-M1 can cause indeletable blotches in the EVF display, in which case will then need the camera to be turned in to Olympus for repair. Their recommendation is to avoid direct sunshine into the EVF by "somehow" covering it. Since this issue seems to have affected several users, I thought it appropriate to issue a warning via this thread. I personally believe this to be a serious technical flaw that needs to be addressed by Olympus ASAP.

Once again (I don't know how many time it will have to be repeated in this thread), this isn't about light hitting the sensor, it's about light hitting the EVF itself through the eye piece, damaging it.

And given that there are hardly any report of such damage for most EVFs apart from a Canon camcorder several years ago (XL1  I believe) and so far an E-M5 and several E-M1 (exact same problem), I suppose a valid claim can be made that this might be beyond normal and needs investigation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow