What to do? Clean sensor

Started Jun 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,590
Re: What to do? Clean sensor

tesch wrote:

tesch wrote:

Steelergeek69 wrote:

Yesterday I noticed a small speck on my left top side of EVF, I carefully took of lens and saw this little speck o the opposite side of sensor. I didn't have a blower so what the best way to remove ? Or Safest? Can I just blow it carefully with my mouth?

i always change lens with body down, how it got in there, don't know. Was at beach yesterday maybe it was there.

Certainly try your camera's sensor clean function first!

In a pinch, a quick and careful puff with your mouth can be fine. But it is so easy to get spit into that, so I avoid it unless I really need to. I carry a blower bulb, but they are very weak.

I would also recommend canned air - as long as you hold it upright, still and use very short bursts. For stubborn dust, I will take a sensor brush, blow it with canned air to "charge it" which helps dust stick to it, and carefully swipe over the dust spot in a swirling motion.

For what it's worth, one dust spec is no big deal. You can't avoid it.

Personally I would never use canned air. No matter how careful you are there's always a chance it will spit out some moisture. Even if the can say no moisture, it will still be there. Air compressor is a different story though, very safe. Also Arctic Butterfly is a great choice for easy dust removal

Never used the arctic butterfly.

As for canned air vs. compressor - compressors aren't safe by any means - they can have particles and moisture as well. The danger with canned air isn't so much that some moisture will get out, but that it's sub-freezing and can cause issues with the sensor surface. But it's not a great skill to learn and I've never had a problem.

The professional service that saved my butt a number of times used compressed air to work on my sensor all the time.......from a compressor. Probably had a professional filter system. They were pros were the best camera repair service in the Seattle area.

Industrial compressors can be forceful, have grease, water and particles in them. I suspect this would be the type used in airbrush work? Not all compressors are the same.

Using canned air inside your camera is the absolute worst thing you could use to clean your sensor. For you to be giving someone in this forum that advise is irresponsible and you should stop!

Don't worry, plenty of professional technicians use canned air safely. The top notch camera shop near me - opposite corner of the country - uses canned air and tape among other methods. Anything you can do to avoid a wet clean is worthwhile. It's much more effective than a rocket blower and can certainly avoid that hassle, expense and risk of a wet clean. I would much rather recommend a properly used can of air and a lens brush. Wet cleans - you're on your own.

As a disclaimer, you can damage glass with the cold liquid - it can pit mirrors and external elements of lenses if you don't spray in short bursts and upright. But sensors are somewhat more forgiving. Canned air is not hard to use right and when used right, it's totally harmless.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow