Bye Pentax K-5 -> Hello Sony A6000

Started Jun 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
mmichalak New Member • Posts: 15
I had an A6000... and then sent it back!

I have had a Pentax *istDL2 since 2006, and wanted to get something lighter and DSLR-like. About a month ago, I got the A6000. I ended up sending it back and I got the K5ii instead...

For the A6000, Pros:

• One trillion options to setup the camera the way you like
  • Superb video shooting
  • Useful "gizmos" such as wifi, not having to use a cable for transferring photos to my macbook was convenient.

The Cons:

• One trillion options can also be negative, too many buttons/options that often get in the way of using the camera.
  • The kit lens was a tad soft for my liking and having to spent as much as the camera itself to get a Zeiss lens was just ridiculous...
    From Sony's UK website:
    Zeiss 55m f1.8: £849
    Zeiss 16-70mm F4: £839
    I mean, seriously.... what the heck....:-O

The other thing that I noticed was that despite the camera's ability to shoot photos like a machine gun, more than often, the photos were not properly in focus. It might had been down to my skills, but whatever I tried, I could not get it to focus properly and trust me I tried a lot! Even when the green square was locked on the subject, the image was often quite soft.

There are quite a few mentions of the soft focus of the kit lens, and the techniques used to properly focus moving objects in the Sony forum... When you start seeing threads titled "A6000 and autofocusing issues", "Kit lens too soft" popping around, you should probably become a little bit suspicious....

There have been mentions in other websites that the camera uses different focusing techniques depending on Single shot or Continuous focus, and also depending on the F value. A common suggestion seems to be not to use Single Shot focus as it is less accurate. Overall, quite complicated, and the manual was almost useless.

As I had a nice collection of Pentax lenses, I returned the A6000 and got the K5ii, and I am a happy man now.

I find it annoying that often people say "yeah, it's a kit lens, what do you expect"... When I got my *istDL2 with the kit lens, I shot thousands of photos, all nice, sharp, clear.

Had I kept it, I think it would have grown on me, and would have probably worked out all the issues that I had, but at the end, I could not get to like it, and that was it.

The A6000 is an engineering marvel, and the future is probably towards these compact cameras, but right now, no thank you...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow