One of my best days behind a viewfinder ever. RX10 at Blue Spring and Greer Spring in Missouri

Started Jun 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
There are a couple of things to keep in mind

regarding image quality on the RX10.

One is to NEVER use an aperture smaller than f/8 I, myself, make it a point to not go smaller than f/7.1 Both reviews of the RX10 and even members of this forum have confirmed that past f/8, the RX10 starts to experience significant lens diffraction that degrades image quality.

Secondly, for really good image quality, try to not exceed ISO 400. That is what I generally attempt to do, especially if I am shooting outdoors. And if I do have to go higher, I then try my best to not go over ISO 1600. Image quality really takes a hit in the RX10 at high ISO.

Your first photo here is really quite a major mistake, as does both of these things: It uses a super high ISO and also uses a real small f/16 aperture.

If you had brought your aperture up 3 stops to f/5.6, you could have then used ISO 800, instead of ISO 6400. Doing that would have made quite an improvement in the image quality.

Using the focal length that you used in your first shot, together with an aperture of f/5.6 focused on a point 15 ft away would result in a depth of field with everything from 8 ft to 153 ft all being in focus. Because of the small sensor size of the RX10, you can get great depth of field at larger apertures. There really is no depth of field benefit to be gained at all in going past f/8. And when one also factors in the damage that diffraction does, there really is no good reason to ever go smaller than f/8.

Finally, regarding the rest of your photos, I see that they were all shot at an aperture of f/2.8 Using a wide open aperture is generally considered not to be optimal for landscape photography. You get away with it to a certain extent in these photos, since most of them were shot at a rather wide angle.

But your second to last photo is a telephoto shot, and it looks quite blurry and out of focus to me. You used a fast enough shutter speed in that photo that the image should have been sharp and clear. So I highly suspect that there was a focusing problem.

By stopping down to something in the range of f/4 to f/5.6, you can insure that you will get a much greater depth of field, and therefore increase greatly the odds that most, if not all, of your photo is in focus.

Anyway, those are my suggestions as to things that you could take into consideration in the future.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow