Which lens (and other equipment) is missing from this group?

Started Jun 2, 2014 | Questions thread
gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Which lens (and other equipment) is missing from this group?

A somewhat contrarian view:

Do you want to take photographs, or do you want to haul around a large kit always wondering if you have the correct body and lens combination and losing shots while swapping lenses.

Get a spare body. In town, or places like the Cape Peninsula or Table Mountain the 9-18 on a camera and the 14-150 in a pocket or small bag will be all you will need. In game preserves or national parks keep the 14-150 on one body and the 75-300 on the other; switch to the 9-18 if you need it for landscapes and mountain views. Keep a small camera in a secure pocket at all times. Mine is an Olympus TG-850, bulky but water, dust and shock proof and 21mm equiv. at the wide end.

Anti-theft straps on the bag and at least one camera are useful if you are going to be in large cities a lot. Carry at least two spare batteries for everything and get a charger that works in a car if you will be in the remote bush.

I have lived and traveled throughout southern Africa with the film and APS digital equivalents of this kit, rarely wanting for more. When I did, it was for something like an then impractically expensive f1.4/f2.0 short tele for evening and night game drives. The Oly 45 or 75 f1.8 would serve this purpose today at a not too excessive price, or just up the sensitivity and accept some noise in low light. Or use a flash on night drives, which is what I used to do.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow