Where's the RX100 I/II/III competition?

Started May 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,380
Re: LX8 could be a rx100 killer

newellj wrote:

inti4444 wrote:

The new panasonic LX8 could be an Rx100 killer (1 inch sensor).

If the pictures I've seen are accurate (and if I'm interpreting them accurately), the LX8 is going to be the same general body size as the LX3/5/7.

If that's true, not only is it not an RX100 killer, it's not even competitive.

Yeah, for me, once you get out of my pant's pocket, it becomes a jacket pocket or small belt/shoulder case. That's mostly ok for 3 seasons, not always with you, but mostly.

If so, many other cameras fit in jacket pockets to compete with LX series. Then, what are your priorities? Won't be a rx100 killer, not same category as noted here.

Now, unless the new LX has a larger sensor, I would go with Oly Stylus 1.

If they increase LX body size a bit, (Oly Stylus 1 is bigger than current LX) still jacket pocket, and get a larger sensor than 1/1.7", that might change the game.

What new lens?

Also, LX7 sensor is not BSI, Oly is BSI sensor. So, what new sensor?

Could Sony make a 1" sensor, jacket pocket camera, YES, will they? If so, probably won't see it till next June.

pants/jacket pocket roundup

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_dscrx100m2&products=canon_g16&products=oly_xz2&products=fujifilm_x20&products=oly_stylus1&products=panasonic_dmclx7&products=pentax_mx1&products=nikon_cpp7800

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow