What to do? Clean sensor

Started Jun 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Re: What to do? Clean sensor

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Thanks guy I'll buy a blower (gitottos) is that ok?, must of been at the beach when I put on the 55-210mm. Man I was so careful when I change it.

Giottos is great. I use it with camera facing down. However, be prepared to accept some stubborn particles clinging on when you would have to do sensor cleaning. I use Eclipse with Sensor Swab (type 2 for APSc).

As for dust getting there, it is virtually impossible to prevent from happening, not just while changing lenses, but also zooming in/out.

Manny - what swab should I use to clean my A7 sensor? I discovered some stuff on it on my trip to Israel, and it looks like it might have been some fluid (tear shaped smear with edges and dot in the center (see below in the wires)

Are there different sizes for different sensors? I'm concerning if the swab is big and I can't get to the corners.

Sensor Swab Type 2 is 17mm wide, good for APS-C. For modern FF, Type 3 (24mm wide). You could use Type 2 on a7/7r, but Type 3 could allow for one clean sweep (as Type 2 does on APS-C). If using Type 2, you will have to repeat.

Thanks - I think I'll buy both. I have an NEX-6 and want to clean one of my D7000s before I give it to my son-in-law.

Do you agree that the shape and characteristics of the mark suggest dried liquid? It doesn't look like any "dust" I've ever seen.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow