Why is Leica mirroless so expensive?

Started May 31, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hokyungbenjaminbenlee Regular Member • Posts: 139
Why is Leica mirroless so expensive?

I might sound crazy but I was wondering why the cameras from Leica are so expensive.

I noticed that Leica T (digital mirrorless) has similar specification to Sony NEX 7 series yet the price is almost two to three times more expensive.

Both cameras have 23.4mm x 15.6mm full frame mirroless CMOS sensor with the max shutter speed of 1/4000 sec. In some aspects, NEX 7 is technically better as it goes up to the ISO of 16000 while Leica T only goes up to the ISO of 12500. Furthermore, while NEX 7 has the capability to record 1080p video in RAW (AVCHD) at 60FPS, Leica T only records at 30FPS. I also noticed that while NEX 7 captures at the maximum resolution of 24.3 megapixels, Leica T only captures at the maximum resolution of 16.5 megapixels.

So my question is, why is Leica T around $2500 while Sony NEX 7 is around $700-$800? Is it the design? or is the sensor on Leica technically better? or is the image quality of Leica T significantly better than NEX 7? or is it simply due to the symbolic value of Leica brand?

Furthermore why is Leica M around $8000? It looks quite similar to any other mirrorless cameras.

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
ANSWER:
Leica T Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
Footski MOD
(unknown member)
Footski MOD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow