Where's the RX100 I/II/III competition?

Started May 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,590
Re: Where's the RX100 I/II/III competition?

Cipher wrote:

It's been 2 years since the RX100 MKI came out and took the enthusiast market by storm. Then the MKII came out and now the MKIII. Where is the competition? Is Sony the only one with the capability to miniaturize such a small compact? Seems like the other manufacturers are just watching Sony zoom past them. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sony RX series, but competition is nice and so is choice.

The rumours are that Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Panasonic are all coming out with 1" sensor models and that Olympus is going to come out with a M4/3 Trip style compact camera.

These will all be launched on or before Photokina in September. 1" is about to become competitive. Sony are kicking butt all over the place at the moment and the now that original RX100 is much cheaper, the pressure is really on the rest of the market who have inferior products. The RX100 is probably also affecting M4/3 and low end APS-C sales.

The question is can these new cameras break Sonys hold on this market segment, possibly not, time will tell. Sony have also thrown their high quality video tech into the RX cameras, only Panny have the tech to match them.

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow