Hello. Is this goodbye?

Started May 24, 2014 | Questions thread
trac63 Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Re: Another view

String wrote:

Unfortunately, its not the body but the glass that goes on in front of it that gets big. With Nikon's lack of DX glass, you are going to be using FX glass. And comparing the D5300 to the E-M1 is quite a stretch as its no where even close to build/functionality.

I shot Nikon for years and I'm not by any stretch saying they are "bad" cameras; they have nothing in their current lineup to replace the D300 and it sure doesnt look like anything is coming any time soon. Meanwhile, there are quite a few people who have moved on; I'm one of them because Nikon has nothing that would allow me to build a small carry everywhere system (except the 1 and I had/have no interest in that).

To each his own, I guess.

I replaced my D200 with a D7100, and the D7100 does pretty much everything better. The ISO performance, the resolution, the AF performance and the manual focusing are way better. The D7100 is a little bit more plastic but otherwise the build quality is the same. The handling is about the same too.

The D5300 is mostly plastic but it's all high-quality engineering plastics and composites. It actually feels very solid. The OOC JPEGs are not bad:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow