Watermarks on Digital Images

Started May 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greenbeanz
Greenbeanz Regular Member • Posts: 287
Watermarks on Digital Images

I have noticed that many people choose to watermark all of their images before uploading and sharing them on-line here or on flickr etc. There also often seems to be an inverse relationship between the quality of the photograph and the prevalence of watermarking. I do not mean to say that all watermarked images are poor or distinctly average, but it seems almost paranoid that someone would be so worried about their work being stolen when much better examples are becoming ubiquitous in this image saturated digital age. Do you think watermarks are a way for some to fool themselves into believing they are a professional outfit with all the kudos they believe that entails or are they mostly used from a genuine fear of having work stolen and then reproduced without permission ?

This is my first post and I do not consider myself in any way a pro or expert but I have been an active and engaged photographer for many years and I have to admit that it is much easier to produce great pictures today than it used to be, particularly once you have understood basic composition. The craft element while still present is now able to be substituted by many automated processes, which while not invalidating the final image do make it easier to achieve and consequently increase the amount of people taking very good photographs and then sharing them on the internet. Consequently the images stock value must surely have depreciated and the benefits or need to watermark must be nearly redundant ? I know the best images that I manage to capture (in my day  job as an artist) do not usually end up on-line and are saved for the non-digital real world.

Greenbeanz's gear list:Greenbeanz's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow