Hello. Is this goodbye?

Started May 24, 2014 | Questions thread
bpdougd Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Hello. Is this goodbye?

I went through a similar process about two years ago. I sold my beloved D700 and the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 that might as well have been welded to the mount.

I purchased an Olympus OM-D EM5. The camera dealer here in Austin, Texas (Precision Camera, great folks to work with) did not have a body-only, just the kit with the Oly 12-50 zoom. Between the rebates available at that time and a discount from the dealer to make the sale, I got the kit zoom for roughly $100. It is surprisingly good. Shortly thereafter I purchased the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 and and Olympus flash unit. This kit served my photo needs quite well with the following caveats and exceptions:

- The m4/3 sensor in the EM5 I consider excellent up to about ISO 800. Up to ISO 1600 it is acceptable because the noise is "fixable" in post. Beyond that it is, IMO, unusable.

- Between evf lag and poor AF tracking, m4/3 is unsuitable for most sports and bif. I purchased an Oly 40-150 (got it for $99 on sale) and in good light is it quite a good lens out to about 120mm. After that it softens a bit. But using that lens with the EM5 for sports (tried it at the MotoGP here in Austin) or bif is a recipe for frustration.

So, a few months back, I picked up a D7100 to augment my m4/3 kit. I still had some good glass (70-200 f/2.8 VRII, 85 AF-D, others) so all I needed was the body.

I find the combination of the m4/3 kit for most of my photography and the D7100 for the things that m4/3 isn't very good at to be a perfect solution.... for me. YMMV

-- hide signature --

Doug Dickerson
www.codougd.smugmug.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow