Maui - First Photo Post

Started May 24, 2014 | Photos thread
Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: C&C: Maui - First Photo Post

Jim Salvas wrote:

These are nice, but it's hard to judge from mostly sunset photos, which are just too darned easy. So is the flower. The diver is cool, though.

I'm a bit surprised, given your liking for scenics, that you didn't shoot any wider than about 54mm.

Keep taking photos!

Shooting sunsets are easy because you can shoot everyday if you want. But getting a really good shot is really hard. So many variables need to be in line before you can get a good shot. I have about 400 shots of sunsets from Magic Island in Hawaii and only 2 of them are OK in my estimation. The biggest "problem" is cloud formation. Too much or too little clouds and you get "snap shot" photos.

The best is a sky full of individual cumulus clouds spread over most of the sky. Then at one point during sunset, the clouds light up from the horizon to over your head. I missed such a sight by one day several years ago. The day after shooting a Magic Island, the evening local news showed the amazing sunset. At least I saw is in on TV from my sister's apartment. As the saying goes: f/8 and be there! I wasn't there

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow