Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,482
Re: On paper maybe

Schwany wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Absolutely difference between crop and FF. FF system (lens + sensor) is much better than APS-C or smaller crop system in IQ.

My point is that,

if APS-C lens is equally well designed and optimized on APS-C, then it will perform better than a FF lens designed and optimized on an APS-C camera with the same or similar FL on the same FF eq spec such as a F1.8 lens on APS-C vs a F2.8 lens on FF;

However the same APS-C lens on APS-C camera is still not as good as the FF lens on a FF camera.

Sigma 18-35/1.8 is such a good sample.

FF most certainly comes out on top over crop (Canon vs Canon -- other APS-C, or mFT, has various advantages over Canon FF due to the superior Sony sensors).

This is one thing I have not seen in any real user example images from Sony's crop cameras. I think it is what everyone is supposed to believe based on paper specs, reviews, charts, and blogs, but I have not seen the IQ superiority. Most of what I've seen looks like it could have been taken with a smart phone. Essentially, no better or worse than anyone else's crop or full frame sensor offerings.

Not really the case. The current gen Sony crop sensor is darn good. I suspect you really haven't compared a high DR scene taken with one vs another.

Sony Crop (D7K)

VS Canon crop (60D)

One does appear a bit better to my eye and not on PAR with each other as you suggest.

In my opinion, more, by far, are better served with crop than with FF.

That I agree with 100%. Cheaper is always better on the interweb.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow