Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: Elaboration on sharpness difference (its mostly lens related)

Abu Mahendra wrote:

You both are splitting hairs. Those minute differences, if there are really, any are probably swamped out by testing methodology margin of error and lens sample variation. And if not, your eye will not be able to resolve the differences. Come on, guys, let's keep it real!

I agree, I said the 22mm f2 is clearly good enough to hang with the best especially considering cost and size/weight, etc.

Also DxOMark is not reliable...they think the D800E is 30% sharper than the D800.  I've pixel peeped both and can only say it is at *most* 5% sharper and equates to no more than +/- 5 on the sharpness slider in LR5 and perhaps less than 1 in DPP's sharpening tool.  A lens to me just needs to be clearly good enough to be mostly tack sharp which a good copy of the 22mm f2 clearly is.  After that it is PPing that brings it home.  Someone has already done some tests on the Nikon forum where he actually tests MTFs *after* sharpening to see the affect of PPing on measured MTF.  It made a profound difference.  Granted you can not sharpen a misfocused or completely soft lens, but if the lens delivers something clearly good enough, that is all you really need.  And my expectations of good enough is fairly high.  I was never really satisfied with the 45mm 1.8 wide open and always hated the shutter shock I got with my Olympus PEN when there are clearly a majority of folks that did not see much difference.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow