This thread is locked.
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 40,863
Re: Maybe

Mako2011 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

My point is that,

if APS-C lens is equally well designed and optimized on APS-C, then it will perform better than a FF lens designed and optimized on an APS-C camera with the same or similar FL on the same FF eq spec such as a F1.8 lens on APS-C vs a F2.8 lens on FF;

If a FF lens is, as you say, also a lens designed and optimized on an APS-C camera, then likely it will perform better than a APS-C only lens on APS-C. The things that make any FF lens great...often carry over when same lens is mounted on APS-C. Great FF lens, with rare exceptions, don't often become "poor" when mounted on APS-C. That's part of the reason you don't see many truly great APS-C only lenses.

Hmm. I think it might be a lot easier to design a sharper lens for a smaller image circle.

I thought about that. But might actually be easier (from manufacturing standpoint) to start with a FF lens and insure the area projecting on to the smaller APS-c image circle is sharp and free of aberrations across the APS-C frame than manufacture a smaller lens that is as good center to edge.

I'm thinking the Sigma 18-35 / 1.8 is a 27-63 / 2.8 FF lens with a 0.67x FR (focal reducer).  Not unlike how Olympus made their 14-35 / 2 and 35-100 / 2.

The longer the lens, the less the image circle matters, however. So, for example, a 70-200 / 2.8 specifically designed for APS-C would probably be no better, or even less expensive, than the 70-200 / 2.8s that exist for FF.

Agreed. Why I think (part of the reason) there are fewer outstanding APS-C only lenses

Lot's of APS-C users are screaming for fast APS-C wide primes, though.

However, if a 24 / 1.4 were designed specifically for APS-C, I think it would be sharper than the 24/1.4L II, for example, be smaller, and cost less. That said, it still wouldn't outperform the 35 / 2 IS on FF, methinks.

I think your on the right track there.

If you want the advantages of FF, best to just go FF rather than try to get FF performance in a smaller format.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow