Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,310
Re: If

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

My point is that,

if APS-C lens is equally well designed and optimized on APS-C, then it will perform better than a FF lens designed and optimized on an APS-C camera with the same or similar FL on the same FF eq spec such as a F1.8 lens on APS-C vs a F2.8 lens on FF;

If a FF lens is, as you say, also a lens designed and optimized on an APS-C camera, then likely it will perform better than a APS-C only lens on APS-C. The things that make any FF lens great...often carry over when same lens is mounted on APS-C. Great FF lens, with rare exceptions, don't often become "poor" when mounted on APS-C. That's part of the reason you don't see many truly great APS-C only lenses.

Hmm.  I think it might be a lot easier to design a sharper lens for a smaller image circle.  The longer the lens, the less the image circle matters, however.  So, for example, a 70-200 / 2.8 specifically designed for APS-C would probably be no better, or even less expensive, than the 70-200 / 2.8s that exist for FF.

However, if a 24 / 1.4 were designed specifically for APS-C, I think it would be sharper than the 24/1.4L II, for example, be smaller, and cost less.  That said, it still wouldn't outperform the 35 / 2 IS on FF, methinks.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow