qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Not reading

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

vin 13 wrote:

... are what they were designed to be, for example on FF a 70-200 is a 70-200, an 85 f1.2 is an 85 f1.2 etc. etc. I know there are EFS lenses, but in comparison not that many.

You have more lens options with the aps-c

1) But those EF lenses are not designed and optimized for APS-C. They all work much better on FF than on APS-C.

Not necessarily. In some cases, they can actually be better across the frame (on APS-C) than than the non-EF counterpart. In many cases they are actully designed to be optimized on both formats.

Otherwise quote me a sample that an EF lens performs better on Canon APS-C than on Canon FF?

Never said it did. I said the EF lens ".. can actually be better across the frame (on APS-C) than than the non-EF counterpart" (mounted on APS-C only) That's counter to your suggestion of the opposite.

So you're not talking on the difference on the same lens between FF and APS-C. You're talking a good APS-C lens could be better than a poor FF lens on APS-C camera, or a good EF lens can be better on a poor APS-C lens on APS-C, that is very different from what I said above. It's Orange vs Apple.

I said in order to get best performance, a lens MUST designed and optimized on that specific crop format. You see even such good zoom 24-70L/2.8 II performs far less on 70D than on 5D3/6D while Sigma (EF-S) 18-35/1.8 performs even better on 70D than Canon copy because Sigma natively designed and optimized on APS-C format.

2) They work in different AOV. 50mm FL on FF becomes 80mm FF eq on the same AOV.

3) Lenses must natively designed and optimized on a specific crop format

No, they do not.

Yes they must. All best performed lenses on APS-C are natively designed on the format such as Sigma 18-35 as example of zoom and EF-M 22/2.0 as an example of prime.

Again, the sweeping generality is simply not true. There are many examples where a EF lens outperforms a similar non-EF lens. (both mounted on the same APS-C body and compared). You made an honest mistake in misunderstanding the text

Obviously you didn't read what I said. I said a given EF lens always performs better on a Canon FF camera than a Canon APS-C camera in the same generation of Canon sensors.  A well-designed APS-C lens works best on APS-C than FF counterpart with the same or close FL.

So it has more choices of lenses on FF cameras to fully leverage lenses that natively designed and optimized on FF format than those natively designed and optimized on APS-C formats.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow