Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Not the case

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

vin 13 wrote:

... are what they were designed to be, for example on FF a 70-200 is a 70-200, an 85 f1.2 is an 85 f1.2 etc. etc. I know there are EFS lenses, but in comparison not that many.

You have more lens options with the aps-c

1) But those EF lenses are not designed and optimized for APS-C. They all work much better on FF than on APS-C.

Not necessarily. In some cases, they can actully be better across the frame (on APS-C) than than the non-EF counterpart. In many cases they are actully designed to be optimized on both formats.

Not. As I said in those rare cases, you only need to stop down one aperture on FF and you even don't need to stop down to theoretical FF eq aperture stop of APS-C. Otherwise quote me a sample that an EF lens performs better on Canon APS-C than on Canon FF?

I am sure you can find a FF lens @F2.0 is sharper on APS-C at edges than on FF. But you only need to stop down to F2.8 then the lens is sharper on FF from edge to edge than APS-C, and you even don't need to stop down to theoretical FF eq aperture stop F3.2.

2) They work in different AOV. 50mm FL on FF becomes 80mm FF eq on the same AOV.

3) Lenses must natively designed and optimized on a specific crop format

No, they do not.

Yes they must. All best performed lenses on APS-C are natively designed on the format such as Sigma 18-35 as example of zoom and EF-M 22/2.0 as an example of prime.

So actually there are much less choices of lenses that are natively designed and optimized, and can be fully leveraged on APS-C than on FF.

Again, just not the case...with very very few exceptions.

Yes this is the case. Not many native APS-C lenses designed on Canon and Nikon APS-C/DX cameras. All best performed lenses on mFT are all natively designed on mFT platform.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow