Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP 70Der Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons?

RedFox88 wrote:

70Der wrote:

I don't honestly see the difference when looking at pics between FF and APS-C. Not sharper for example. But if

If I recall correctly, you recently asked some very basic photography questions. Your 70d obviously is less than a year old so why do you feel the need to buy a more expensive camera with a bigger image sensor if you have much to learn still?

1) I could get more depth of field control (my F4 lens becomes one stop shallower for example)

But are you really going to notice the difference of 1 stop? Often getting more in focus is beneficial so your subject is in focus.

2) I get an extra stop of noise free light.

Do you use very high ISO now? You could consider a faster lens like a Sigma 30 f/1.4 or Canon 35 f/2 IS instead if you have slow kit lenses now.

3) Maybe better dynamic range and shadow detail

You'd have to review camera tests to discern a difference. Don't just assume a bigger image sensor has better of both of those. Often newer cameras, whether APS-C of 35mm, have improved characteristics.

I would consider getting one in the future.

But for what you use your camera for, will it make a significant different anywhere besides pixel peeping/100%+ computer screen view?

I asked WHAT? Some VERY basic photography questions? Where? My 70D is a week old. That doesn't mean my photography skills are! I DON'T feel the need to buy a more expensive camera, I'm just simply curious. "much to learn still?" I practically have very very little left to learn.

I don't just have slow kit lenses though.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow