Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: Elaboration on sharpness difference (its mostly lens related)

qianp2k wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

The FF advantage is *mostly* in the normal range to short tele portrait range of lenses. Once you go tele to super tele, the size/weight/cost savings of shooting crop is compelling *especially* when you factor in that shooting a wider f2.8 with crop may have autofocus benefits over shooting a more tele f4 on FF!

Disagreed. Canon and Nikon super-tele lenses are best used on their respective FF cameras as we see in sport venues and wildlife. Crop cameras only advantage (except operation advantage in size/weight/cost) is pixel density (so-called more 'reach') when you don't have a longer enough lens or unable to move closer.

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens is *amazing* from the 100% crops I've seen, however its also a big/heavy lens. However it is one zoom lens that somehow *seriously* enables a lot of the 'fast' quality normal focal ranges on APS-C.

So now let's check closely on the two best APS-C lenses. I also own one of them as you, EF-M 22/2.0 STM that is excellent.

DPR 24-70L/2.8 II on 5D2 vs Sigma 18-35/1.8 on 7D

24-70L/2.8 II is still (noticeably) better on 5D2 (or 6D/5D3) than Sigma 18-35/1.8 on 7D (or 60D/70D), and wider and longer in rage 24-70mm vs FF eq 29-56mm from sigma lens at similar FF eq max aperture F2.8.

DXO 40/2.8 on 6D vs 35/2.0 IS on 6D vs 22/2.0 on EOS-M

16 vs 18 vs 13 mpix. Or check Measurement | Sharpness | FieldMap, as I said earlier you even don't need to stop down to FF eq aperture but just one stop F2.8 in this case, both 40/2.8 STM and 35/2.0 IS @F2.8 on 6D is already sharper than EF-M 22/2.0 @F2.0 on EF-M from edge to edge and maintain the lead from there.

It's really an upperhill battle for a crop camera to match or even better than a FF camera - must with a way better lens (most times it's virtually impossible to design such lens) and much more amount of pixels (a lesser factor than former). Sigma 18-35/1.8 is still inferior to Canon 24-70L/2.8 II and I can say not even better than Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC. The same true EF-M 22/2.0 is not better than 40/2.8 STM and 35/2.0 IS. There are simply impossible to design such FF eq lenses against Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Otus 55/1.4 or two Canon F2.8 zoom with the same FL range and FF eq max aperture.

Take a look at the 40mm f2.8 vs 22mm f2 with the sharpness profile graphs.  Realize that for the most part the 6D has a pretty weak AA filter (DxoMark measurements change A LOT over AA filter differences, something that to the human eye amounts to very little except +/- 5 in USM sharpening in LR btw).  Compare for example the 5DMKII with a stronger AA filter yet slightly more MP...the performance inches even closer!  Think about how *close* the performance is for almost equivalent DOF and low light capability for a lens that is on the *old* generation of Canon APS-C!  Think about the size/cost/weight differences.  Instead of PMP score open up the profiles for the two...for one orientation the 22mm f2 on the same old 18MP APS-C sensor actually beats it in the center, but granted *overall* the 6D + 40mm f2.8 is the overall winner for respective apertures (f2 vs f2.8 or f2.8 vs f4, etc).  However ask yourself this...how do you think the 22mm f2 on a 24MP APS-C AAless sensor would do?  Based on what I've seen of DxOMark measurements it would heavily rule in favor of the 24MP APS-C.

Now all of that really doesn't matter as I just judge lenses at being 'good' enough and the 22mm f2 to me is certainly good enough where as the 18MP APS-C sensor to me is not.  But it is easy to see that a lens so capable as the 22mm f2 is absolutely perfect on APS-C sized sensor, is capable of being extremely small...and if it had a 24MP Exmor would be just about one of the *best* 35mm f3.2 capable systems there is.

Also I still see plenty of wildlife photogs shooting APS-C with tele's due to huge considerations in weight, size, and cost.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow