Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Elaboration on sharpness difference (its mostly lens related)

If every APS-C lens was made with the same exacting optical excellence as the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 or Canon 22mm f2, I would not care about going bigger with 6D.  The FF advantage is *mostly* in the normal range to short tele portrait range of lenses.  Once you go tele to super tele, the size/weight/cost savings of shooting crop is compelling *especially* when you factor in that shooting a wider f2.8 with crop may have autofocus benefits over shooting a more tele f4 on FF!

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens is *amazing* from the 100% crops I've seen, however its also a big/heavy lens.  However it is one zoom lens that somehow *seriously* enables a lot of the 'fast' quality normal focal ranges on APS-C.

The 85mm f1.8 as much as I love it on 6D is nowhere near the quality of the 22mm f2 on an APS-C sensor...its a 2 decade old lens.  And from what I've seen of the more modern Nikon 85mm 1.8G, it does a little better on Nikon APS-C but I can still see that it just doesn't hold up quite as well still compared to what it does on Nikon FF...but thats all pixel peeping anyhow.

Also another factor is when I shoot many EF lenses in their 'peak' apertures at f2.8 - f4, it must be said that it is *very* difficult for APS-C + the equivalent available lens to match it with a wider aperture equivalent.  *BUT* again this is disregarding efforts like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8.  Again the reality is as you see many 'focal' reducers that aren't even that large being used without a huge detraction to quality, it is obvious that *both* Canikon can make APS-C dedicated primes that are just incredible like the Sigma, but they choose not to in order to not cannibalize FF line-ups.  So we are inbetween a rock and a hard place because although on paper APS-C can pretty much deliver in most regards, the lens lineup is intentionally stagnated for APS-C for both Canikon.

Fuji lenses or MFT are examples of decent lenses that can be made fast with great optics.  But not *always*.  For example the Olympus 45mm f1.8 is much like any EF prime on a FF sensor in that it needs stopping down to really 'peak'.  So *overall* there are far more lenses that achieve 'peak' quality at wider equivalent DOF on FF than APS-C or MFT IMO.  Lenses like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 or 22mm f2 break that generalization (as do most telephotos that are peak wide open).  Then again there are now FF lenses like Sigma 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4 Art that are near peak on a FF sensor.  Those lenses will be pretty much untouchable in having equivalent lenses in smaller sensors for a good deal of time, and they are lenses that even arguably compete with narrower aperture MF lenses on the new Pentax I bet.

Typically lenses that are near peak at wide open fast apertures are quite special as they really help smaller sensors achieve what previously required larger sensors.  Sometimes they are wildly affordable like the 22mm f2, or ungodly expensive like the 42.5 f1.2 Panaleica.  Or sometimes lenses for smaller systems just do not peak wide open and behave like FF counter parts so that there is little difference.  The Oly 45mm 1.8 for example is well regarded but cannot achieve similar shallow DOF as an 85mm 1.8 *and* it often requires stopping down in order to reach peak performance.  Or for example the Fuji 55mm f1.2 behaves *very* similarly to something like the Canon 85mm f1.8 even in regards to needing to stop down slightly to peak.

Overall neither Canikon has graced APS-C with wonderful equivalent normal primes...and using EF primes that are 2 decade old that need to be stopped to f2.8 or more for the demanding 18-20 MP APS-C 1.6 crop doesn't do much for me.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow