Sonnar 1.8/55: Hands-down the best portrait lens for my A6000.

Started May 22, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,698
Sonnar 1.8/55: Hands-down the best portrait lens for my A6000.

I wanted to downsize my DSLR equipment slowly but surely been building up my A6000 lens lineup. I shoot a lot of portraiture and was looking from a 'go-to' portrait lens like the much-vaunted 85/1.2LII that I have with my Canon equipment. I wanted a fast portrait lens that would come close to an 85mm ff equivalent with my A6000 so that I can do not just full-body shots but close up portraits as well. After I saw a few samples from the owners, I picked the Sonnar 1.8/55.

Having picked up a Zeiss 1.8/24 over a year ago, I am spoilt by the color, contrast and the drop-dead gorgeous bokeh of a Zeiss lens. The Sonnar is no exception. I can say with full conviction----Zeiss CSC lens image quality = Canon L lens at a much smaller package!

I used to own the SEL50/1.8, it is an excellent lens at a reasonable price. However, after I did a shoot with that lens and the Zeiss 24 I know that I favor the Zeiss by a lot and I will be looking for that terrific color, contrast and bokeh in a fast portrait lens.

I think the only con to this lens is the price especially compared to the SEL50. However, the price difference is worth it for me given the Zeiss stellar IQ plus the extra length for close up portraits.

The lens focuses fast and accurate

For me the test of bokeh is a full-body shot of an adult person. Smaller subjects and objects and half-body shots are very easy to throw off the background. Sonnar is silky smooth!

The obligatory f/4.5-f/5 portraits to get all the facial features sharp

Even in harsh lighting conditions, Sonnar rocks, flare control is superb!

Lastly, I love doing those challenging one-eye or two-eyes only in focus and just like my 85L the Sonnar delivers!

If I will have a dream shoot, let's say spend 15 minutes of either Charlize Theron or Kate Beckinsale---- for sure I will reach out with my Sonnar and the A6000

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
Prime lens • Sony FE • SEL55F18Z
Announced: Oct 16, 2013
José B's score
Average community score
Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow