Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,958
Re: Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons?

70Der wrote:

I don't honestly see the difference when looking at pics between FF and APS-C. Not sharper for example. But if

1) I could get more depth of field control (my F4 lens becomes one stop shallower for example)

Yes

2) I get an extra stop of noise free light.

Depends, at the same ISO yes but photography is not that simple.  If you need the same DoF, shutter speed and FoV then no because you'll have to compensate with the FF by using a 1-1/3 stop smaller aperture requiring the ISO to be 1-1/3 stops higher to achieve the same DoF at the same shutter speed.  If you can use a slower shutter speed then you will see the 1-1/2 stop FF advantage on noise.

3) Maybe better dynamic range and shadow detail

Canon's are not stellar on shadow noise and detail even with their FF sensors.  You'll gain maybe a half stop at low ISO and a full stop to even a bit more at high ISO.  the 70D is one of Canon's better low ISO shadow performers and certainly the best in their APS C format.

I would consider getting one in the future.

I would consider FF for the bigger OVF and more involving photographic experience that goes with it.  Also for the very shallow DoF possible when needed if you shoot that way and have the lenses for the job.  High ISO is certainly cleaner but not if you need greater DoF for your subject matter.  As for IQ in general you'll certainly see some differences on screen when pixel peeping but I'd doubt you'll gain much if anything at the output level whether for screen or print.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow