Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons?

70Der wrote:

I don't honestly see the difference when looking at pics between FF and APS-C. Not sharper for example. But if

1) I could get more depth of field control (my F4 lens becomes one stop shallower for example)

2) I get an extra stop of noise free light.

3) Maybe better dynamic range and shadow detail

I would consider getting one in the future.

The one difference you can't see is probably the #1 difference to me for the following reasons.

The extra stop of noise only comes at shallower DOF with FF.  Stopped down to be equivalent to APS-C and there is little difference in low-light performance.  Low-light performance only *comes* with shallower DOF...it does not have better low-light performance at equivalent DOF.

The better dynamic range and shadow detail is capped off by Canon sensor...it is better but not *worlds* better because of read noise.  The 18MP APS-C's like in the 7D's are a bit bandy and not even that efficient however.  6D is one of the least bandy and more efficient sensors in Canon's line-up.  But if you cared about shadow detail and dynamic range you could seriously buy a refurbed Nikon D3200 for $330 bucks and it'll include LR5.

So the #1 difference left indeed is how much easier the sensor is on a vast majority of EF lenses, many of which are older.  Yet again at telephoto ranges if you do not have the equivalent telephoto focal length for FF and are forced to crop, APS-C can win in sharpness there.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow