Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons? Locked

Started May 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075
Re: Is a FF camera worth it for these reasons?

70Der wrote:

I don't honestly see the difference when looking at pics between FF and APS-C. Not sharper for example. But if

I'm surprised you don't see it.  I bet if you owned a FF camera and used it extensively, you would see the difference.  But I could be wrong on that!

1) I could get more depth of field control (my F4 lens becomes one stop shallower for example)

Yes, you will notice this.  Keep in mind you will need to get closer to things though at the same focal length!

2) I get an extra stop of noise free light.

This is the biggest difference.  I don't know how much it is in stops, but when I moved from a t2i to a 6d, the difference was dramatic!  If this is something important to you, it is absolutely worth it to move to full frame

3) Maybe better dynamic range and shadow detail

Yes, I think it has these as well, although this difference wasn't as dramatic for me.

If you have a 70d and really like it and are concerned about the AF of the 6d and possibly other things, you could always wait for the 6d II.  I am guessing (obviously have no knowledge of this) that the AF will be upgraded in the next version of the 6d.  Be prepared to possibly wait awhile, but the 70d is a great camera and if you don't feel the need to upgrade soon, waiting could be the best option!

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow