In-camera effects

Started May 20, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PGrGr New Member • Posts: 12
In-camera effects

I have recently bought a Panasonic GX7 (which is excellent and I am very happy with it so far), and I am using Aperture as my photo organisation software.

I am a bit new to digital photography so please forgive me if what I am about to ask is a beginner's question:

I noticed, when importing photos, that any in-camera effects ("scenes") are only applied to the jpegs that the camera exports and not the RAWs.

Seperately, I have read up on file formats, and I understand that, if you want to preserve picture quality, and storage space is not a problem, its better to use RAW formats from the camera and rely on the processing in the PC to convert to jpegs, if required. Certainly, a little experimentation has shown me that Aperture's jpeg conversions are higher quality than those which come out of the camera.

Therefore, the question is whether the special effects which the camera can impose on the photos actually have any value, or whether it is better to apply these kind of effects in "post production", using software like Aperture or whatever?

Thanks folks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow